Ada Belle Winthrop-King Endowed Memorial Fund
UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP IN ITALIAN, SUMMER 2018
Deadline for Completed Applications: October 9, 2017 by 5:00 pm
AIMS AND CONDITIONS GOVERNING THIS AWARD
The purpose of the Ada Belle Winthrop-King Undergraduate Summer Semester Scholarship in Italian is to provide an opportunity for an undergraduate student at Florida State University to live and study in Italy in order to increase his or her knowledge of the Italian language and culture. Previous study or travel in Italy will not make the applicant ineligible.
The award must be used for study on the FSU Exchange program at the Università per Stranieri di Perugia in Perugia, Italy or the Centro linguistico di ateneo of the Università di Pavia in Pavia, Italy.
The award is valued at $6,000. To be eligible for an award, applicants must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in Italian and complete ITA 3420 or a higher level Italian course at FSU by not later than the end of the semester in which the application is made.
The application consists of:
- Part A Online application (student academic information, electronic resume and a statement of purpose)
- Part B (hard copy form that must be completed and turned in, in person to the Department of Modern Languages Main Office (Diffenbaugh 362) along with a copy of the student’s unofficial FSU transcripts)
Applicants are subject to the General Conditions and Procedures Governing Winthrop-King Awards (see below).
GENERAL CONDITIONS AND PROCEDURES GOVERNING WINTHROP-KING AWARDS
How to Submit Your Application
All required parts of the scholarship application must be completed and submitted by the advertised Winthrop-King applications deadline. As you will need some time to prepare your application, you are strongly advised to complete those preparations well before the advertised deadline so that you can complete and submit all parts of your application on time. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered by the Scholarships Committee. Be sure to comply with all of the important instructions below; failure to do so will render you ineligible for an award.
Part A: On-line application form
This part of the application is to be submitted electronically. You may save your data and return to it later before submitting the completed application. When your application is complete, you must press the "submit" button. If you do not press the "submit" button by the advertised deadline, your application will not be considered by the Scholarships Committee.
Part B: Transcripts (hard-copy submission)
Applicants must print and fill out the Part B Application Form (see below) and submit with it along with their unofficial GPA transcripts of all undergraduate courses which they have taken. Based on the information supplied by the candidate the Undergraduate Office in the Department of Modern Languages will calculate (a) the applicant's overall GPA in all undergraduate courses and (b) the applicant's GPA in all undergraduate courses taken in the language of the award for which they are applying.
Completed Part B cover sheets, transcript forms and accompanying documents must be turned in to the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics main office, Diffenbaugh rm. 362, by not later than 5:00 pm on the advertised deadline. As proof of receipt by the advertised deadline, applicants must sign the sign-in sheet provided for this purpose in the Department of Modern Languages Main Office (Diffenbaugh 362).
You must sign the list of applicants form when you submit your Part B application to the department’s main office.
- All Winthrop-King awards are subject to the availability of funds.
- Awards are made for future study in the summer semester specified in the application; they may not be made for current or past semesters nor for a semester prior to that following the semester in which application results are announced. Awards are made for the specified semester and may not be deferred until a later date. Awards cannot be taken up after graduation from FSU.
- Successful applicants who are unable to attend the program for which they are awarded funds must repay the award within 7 days of the commencement of the program.
- Awards will not be granted for study on programs which FSU prohibits or discourages its students from attending, e.g. on the grounds of U.S. State Department travel warnings; awards may be withdrawn at any time on the grounds of revised FSU advice or prohibition.
- If you receive federal or state financial aid, these awards may affect your entitlement. You are advised to check with the aid agency before applying for one of these awards.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all necessary information, including a valid e-mail address, is provided legibly on the application form, together with supporting transcripts and other required documentation. Applications which are incomplete, illegible or in any other way ineligible will not be considered by the Scholarship Committee.
- Awards are made at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee, taking into account all the information provided on the application form. The Committee's decision is final. If the Committee so determines, no award will be made.
- Candidates will be notified of the outcome of their applications by e-mail in January 2018. The Committee does not provide any additional feedback to candidates. In view of the large number of applicants, the notification process may take several days and candidates should not be concerned if some applicants receive notification before others. Candidates are responsible for supplying a valid e-mail address in their application and for checking their e-mail account for messages.
- Under FSU and federal regulations, funds cannot be disbursed to recipients before the start of the study abroad program in the semester for which the scholarship is awarded, and not until Ms. Leigh Ann Osborne receives confirmation from the Università per Stranieri di Perugia or the Centro Linguistico d’Ateneo of the Università di Pavia” that the student is attending the program.
- If you expect to incur expenditures (e.g. in respect of the purchase of airline tickets or course fees) prior to the disbursement of the award, you will be responsible for making such payments at the time they are due; scholarship funds cannot be disbursed in advance of the time frame indicated above.
- Recipients of Winthrop-King Awards are required to attend Honors Night held in April.
- The Florida State University (University) is an equal opportunity employer and educational provider committed to a policy of non-discrimination for any member of the University’s community on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veterans’ or marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other protected group status. This policy applies to faculty, staff, students, visitors, applicants, and contractors in a manner consistent with applicable federal and state laws, regulations, ordinances, orders and rules, and University policies, procedures, and processes.
- The Winner of the Winthrop-King Scholarship for Italian studies must contact Ms. Leigh Ann Osborne (email@example.com) within a week of notification of the award. Failure to contact Ms. Osborne and to start the paperwork for the exchange will result in cancellation of the award. Recipients must submit completed forms by not later than February, 2018.
- Award recipient should note that the airlines fares and the living expenses in Italy are the responsibility of the student.
- For scholarship recipients who are US citizens or permanent residents and who have completed all the necessary formalities by the due dates, awards are made available by FSU Student Financial Services after the start of the program and after verification of the student’s enrollment and attendance of the classes at the foreign university in the semester of the award. The award will be available after deduction of any balances owed by the student to the University. Recipients who are not US citizens or permanent residents will receive their awards later on in the semester, after deduction of any balances owed by the student to the University and after withholding of up to 14% in tax. After you file your tax return for the fiscal year, the IRS will assess you for tax and may make a refund to you if it judges that tax has been overpaid.
- Please note that your last 30 semester credit hours must be taken at FSU. It is the student’s responsibility to check with her/his College for possible exceptions if your study abroad at the host university falls in your last 30 semester credits. It is the student responsibility to petition for a waiver of this requirement through her/his school.
|To be completed and submitted online by all applicants||To be completed and submitted in hard copy by all applicants|
If you have any questions about Winthrop-King awards, undergraduates should address these in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you experience technical difficulties in submitting the on-line Part A of your application, e-mail Ray Marky at email@example.com indicating the nature of the difficulty, which must be notified before the deadline for applications.